[OSGeo-Discuss] Local Chapter, network and structuration

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 00:35:41 PDT 2008

On 8/26/08, Landon Blake <lblake at ksninc.com> wrote:
> Dave wrote: "If people are saying they can't attend [insert name of
>
> OSGeo event here], then it would be useful to state why they can't
>  attend. There is a difference between "travel/accommodation cost is 'too
>  high'"
>  and "my workplace has to authorize the travel, and they do not send
>  people to events outside the continent, regardless of the costs".
>

> I suppose my situation is somewhat unique. I only work on open source
>  GIS as a hobby, and it isn't really something my day job will support
>  financially. So in my case only events that are hosted locally or
>  regionally are possible.
>
>  I'm likely the exception to the rule, and not the rule.

Add me to your exceptions list...

I use both open source (mostly) and proprietary (sometimes) software
for both hobby and to make a living. Yet, I don't make enough of a
living to afford to go anywhere further than a medium-range drive/fly
(aka local to regional). Which is why the last MapServer conference
(it was still called MUM in those days) I attended was Ottawa, and
will continue to be the last until it comes back to Minnesota or some
such place close to home.

The conference also seems to have grown and become very big...
possibly a logical Darwinian evolution, with every edition being
bigger than the previous. The very first MUM1 at Minnesota had a
registration fee of about $100 (somewhere in the ballpark). The
registration fee for the current conference is upward of $500 (ZAR
3900 at the current exchange rate as provided by Google), which is
getting into the most commercial conference fee range. If such were
the user fee even at Minnesota, heck, even in my hometown of Madison,
WI, I would be hard-pressed to find justification or sponsors for it.

Perhaps it is time for an YAMC (on the lines of YAPC)...

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/