[OSGeo-Discuss] osor.eu - GIS Software Community

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Aug 27 08:58:13 PDT 2008

Theodoros G. Karounos wrote:
> The GIS (Geographic Information System) Software Community aims at
> supporting the development and referencing the open source geospatial
> software on the OSOR. The OSOR GIS Community's goal is to promote
> exchange of software and experience, and to encourage the use and
> collaborative development of community-led projects. The OSOR GIS
> community evolves: this web page is updated regularly.
>
> The OSOR GIS Community workshop (pdfAgenda) - held in Brussels on 27
> June 2008 - initiated the building of the community, and discussed how
> the OSOR could help the Public Administrations in the re-use and
> efficient development of GIS software. The exchange of experience
> during the workshop proved very helpful to the attendees, and it was
> decided to dedicate a section on the OSOR for further exchanges.
>
> Following the workshop, the Open Data Spatial Publishing project was
> initiated on the OSOR, aiming at discussing the need for a license for
> the publication of spatial data that guarantees the legal
> compatibility of data shared and integrated in an SDI. A mailing list
> will soon be set up.
>
> Further collaboration is foreseen and currently under discussion with
> other existing GIS networks.
> http://osor.eu/communities

Theodoros,

AFAIK, OSOR is somehow related to Cascadoss activities.
Does OSOR collaborate with Cascadoss partners in any way?

I'm also interested to learn about how OSOR relates to OSGeo Foundation
activities. Does OSOR aim to "duplicate" OSGeo Foundation activities on
the european soil?

It seems there is potential of synergism between these two entities.

Best regards,