[OSGeo-Discuss] Image Management in an RDBMS...(was OS Spatial environment 'sizing')

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Wed Feb 20 16:45:42 PST 2008

> - When you consider the complexities that Google must be facing with GE
> in trying to manage 256x256k tiles of imagery over the entire world, at
> multiple pyramid layers and with constant revision of imagery, you can
> soon see that a file based approach would lead to a major headache.

He he, I think I'd write that same sentence but substitute 'database
approach' for 'file based approach'.  I'd be pretty shocked if Google
were using any kind of database for their tiles.  They certainly aren't
paying oracle or arcsde license fees.  They could have a custom mysql
solution, but I'd guess it's all on the Google File System:
http://labs.google.com/papers/gfs.html

Also, I think it's still in pretty beta development, but Geomatys has
been working on PostGRID -
http://seagis.sourceforge.net/postgrid/index.html and
http://www.foss4g2007.org/presentations/view.php?abstract_id=225 have
some information.  I believe is pretty attached to java, but I think
does some of what you want, managing the metadata in the database.
Though I could be wrong about if it's close to what you're thinking of,
my understanding of the raster side of the fence has never been that strong.

best regards,

Chris