[OSGeo-Discuss] Image Management in an RDBMS...(was OS Spatialenvironment 'sizing')

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Feb 20 17:03:47 PST 2008

Well, I'm just one opinion, but I USED to store 17 million rasters in a database, and got tired of the hassles, so I switched to a file-based storage system.  I try to manage lots of tiles of imagery over the United States and Canada, with multiple pyramid layers and constant revision of imagery, and it's not that big a deal.  It's been a very part-time job for one guy for several years now.

It's very helpful to store the metadata in a database (PostgreSQL/PostGIS) but I don't see the benefit of storing the raster data there, too - and I don't like having the mechanics of my raster access be a mystery to me.  I like to know where exactly the data is and how it's accessed.

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
Demand Media / TopoZone.com