[OSGeo-Discuss] 'lossless' JPEG2000

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Sat Feb 23 00:57:57 PST 2008

IMO:

Thanks for the reply Traian,

I don't mean to be dismissive of this report, but I was hoping for
something more definitive to prove that 'lossless' JPEG compressions did
indeed protect the integrity of the data..

Perhaps its just my ignorance, but I was hoping for something along the
lines of:

- a study of a range of typical spatial 'imagery'.

- evaluation of all spectral values for each pixel in each image before
compression.

- 'lossless' compression  of the images

- restoration of the compressed images

- comparison of all spectral values for each pixel in each restored image
against the original pre-compressed values.

- definitive statement with reference to the study results.

Bruce

> JPEG2K supports lossless via a reversible wavelet transform with
> integral coefficients (which make it reversible, and so lossless).
> Here is a reference:
>
> http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~mdadams/publications/pacrim2001.pdf
>

> Traian

Notice: