[OSGeo-Discuss] 'lossless' JPEG2000

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Sat Feb 23 10:10:55 PST 2008

It is not possible to *prove* a mathematical relationship by example. One would have to study the set of all possible images in the world and make sure they have no loss in order to effectively prove the claim. On the other hand you can *disprove* it by providing a single counterexample. That is why I pointed to the math of the transform, which one has hope of showing is invertible for all cases. Anyway, I'm not that much of an expert on wavelet compression so I can't do much more than point to other people's documentation.

Traian