[OSGeo-Discuss] 'lossless' JPEG2000

François-Olivier Devaux francois.devaux at uclouvain.be
Tue Feb 26 00:46:49 PST 2008

Hi,

Norman Vine has pointed to me this discussion about JPEG 2000, and I
thought it might be interesting to give you a small overview on JPEG
2000 and present the OpenJPEG library on which we are working.

--------
FIELDS WHERE JPEG 2000 IS USED

JPEG 2000 is becoming the reference in image compression for
professional applications, where precision and flexibility is really
necessary.

The most know field using JPEG 2000 is Digital Cinema, where JPEG 2000
has been favored against MPEG2 and H.264. Linked to that field, High
Quality Broadcast applications are also turning to JPEG 2000 because of
its quality and scalability (low resolution versions can be extracted
directly from a high resolution sequence without any re-encoding, and
JPEG 2000 sequences are encoded in intra which eases video editing).

More close to your field is Archiving, where we are feeling a trend to
select JPEG 2000 as compression algorithm
http://www.egov.vic.gov.au/index.php?env=-inlink/detail:m1780-1-1-8-s-0:l-9669-1-1--

Medical imaging applications, where lossless compression is a important
requirement, are also taking full advantage of JPEG 2000 remote browsing
possibilities (with the JPIP protocol)
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/aware-inc-to-demonstrate-groundbreaking-medical-imaging-streaming-solution-at-himss08,290686.shtml

---------
JPEG 2000 FEATURES

The JPEG 2000 features that are interesting for GeoSpatial Imagery is of
course the ability to achieve lossless compression, the scalability
(lower quality and resolutions as well as spatial areas can be extracted
from a compressed file, without the need of decompression the entire
file), the high precision (most codecs can at least handle 16 bits per
component, and up to 256 components) and the fact that the core coding
system can be obtained free of charge.
JPEG 2000 also has an inherent robustness higher than most compression
schemes (JPEG, ...) and a great protocol to interactively remotely
browse images called JPIP.

-----
OPENJPEG

OpenJPEG, is an open-source JPEG 2000 library. It has been very recently
remodeled by the CNES and the french company CS to meet the requirements
of applications using Mega-Images (-> geo-sized images). Independent
access to tiles has been improved, in order to increase the library
encoding and decoding performances. This new version should be made
accessible to users at the beginning of March. We are very happy of the
performances of this new version, and are open to new contributions.
Regarding other JPEG 2000 open source solutions in your field, the GDAL
library has a JPEG 2000 module that is based on Jasper, which is a great
library, but has unfortunately not evolved for the last years.