[OSGeo-Discuss] 'lossless' JPEG2000

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Tue Feb 26 15:47:22 PST 2008

I've not read the whole Wikipedia article, but the statement "images
have to be transformed from the RGB color space to another color space"
is indeed incorrect.  Images that are 3-banded MAY be encoded with the
YCC transform, but this is not required; images with some other number
of bands do NOT undergo a color transform step.

If you're using ERMapper (ECW) files now, you're already deep into the
world of lossy transforms.  Imagine files (.img) are lossless, I
believe, so you're safe there.

My offer to encode a few GB of sample data for you still holds :-)

-mpg