[OSGeo-Discuss] About OSGeo...

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Fri Jan 18 08:12:21 PST 2008

Bob Basques wrote:
>   Whoa,
>
> So a press release can only be passed through for an existing OSGEO
> project?  What good is that to the wider community?

I think that OSGeo press release are an official thing so we need to pass it through somewhere before publishing. Do you think we should not?

Way back at the inception of OSGeo the founders decided to not become yet another blogosphere but more of an official point of contact for organizations that fear/do not understand  loosely knit communities. This is now http://www.osgeo.org (with all its flaws and all).

For the community stuff the Wiki is much better. I hate that new Spam prevention gadget, it discourages editing and I cannot read the crap it suggests to write but if it is required - so be it.

To get something on http//www.osgeo.org it takes a little more. If you want to publish something cool for the community - go hack the Wiki. I think this makes sense. Search engines love the Wiki, from a statistical point of view it probably produces more publicity than the main page.

> Or should there be another example added to the "Conception" section of
> the "press Release" page?

I actually did not read that page because I don't do press releases. If you don't like it propose what could be done better.

> That part on the bottom about costs for distribution is an interesting
> piece, can anyone pay to have their press release handled by OSGEO?
> Should anyone be able to?
>
> bobb

I think that this service would cost OSGeo $300 to 400 to publish news to reach "AP and UPI" (whatever that is...?). Confusing. I deleted it.

Best regards,
Arnulf.