[OSGeo-Discuss] Call for help: GDAL and txt2shp.py

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Thu Jul 3 14:02:37 PDT 2008

On Jul 3, 2008, at 1:40 PM, Kjell Are Refsvik wrote:

> On 3. juli. 2008, at 21.36, Dane Springmeyer wrote:
>
>> Refsvik,
>>
>> Try reversing your coordinates, as the graphic looks like your
>> output shapefile has had the x/y reversed.
>
> Splendid! That did the trick.

great.

> However - I have another dataset from the middle east, and
> approaching this data the same way, even trying to reverse the
> dataset from the images, it still fails:
>
> http://www.ia-stud.hiof.no/~kjellare/misc/gdal_fail1.png
> http://www.ia-stud.hiof.no/~kjellare/misc/gdal_fail2.png

I can see from the Qgis mouse coordinates in the lower right that the
shapefile you created likely has x,y coordinates in a projected
coordinate system (at least different from WGS 84/4326). My first
(wild) guess would be to add a .prj file from spatialreference.org for
a UTM zone that covers your area of the middle east (you'll be need to
find out what exact zone number is needed if it is in UTM).

I would try:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fspatialreference.org+utm+middle+east&btnG=Search

UTM is a likely candidate if the data came from a GPS unit, but its
just a guess.

> ... trying to have the dots numbered or named and outputting the two
> layers as a transverse mercator projected .png file are the two
> things left to do.

> I would really appreciate some input on how to proceed, as I cannot
> figure out if gdal_rasterize can be used for this purpose.

In Qgis you should be able to reproject to UTM and label your points.
Qgis will also export to PNG format if that is what you want. However
I don't think that Qgis will output an ESRI world file (the only way
that I know to keep a PNG spatially reference... but the application
uDIG will output a .wld world file to spatially reference a PNG).

I'd recommend #qgis or #udig with further questions.

Dane