[OSGeo-Discuss] Call for help: GDAL and txt2shp.py

Kjell Are Refsvik kjell.a.refsvik at hiof.no
Thu Jul 3 16:25:51 PDT 2008

On 3. juli. 2008, at 23.02, Dane Springmeyer wrote:

>> However - I have another dataset from the middle east, and
>> approaching this data the same way, even trying to reverse the
>> dataset from the images, it still fails:
>>
>> http://www.ia-stud.hiof.no/~kjellare/misc/gdal_fail1.png
>> http://www.ia-stud.hiof.no/~kjellare/misc/gdal_fail2.png
>>

> I can see from the Qgis mouse coordinates in the lower right that
> the shapefile you created likely has x,y coordinates in a projected
> coordinate system (at least different from WGS 84/4326). My first
> (wild) guess would be to add a .prj file from spatialreference.org
> for a UTM zone that covers your area of the middle east (you'll be
> need to find out what exact zone number is needed if it is in UTM).
>
> I would try:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fspatialreference.org+utm+middle+east&btnG=Search

Not having worked much with GIS systems or projection/coordinate
systems before, I am struggling to understand the meaning of all this.
However, the following (esriwkt) was the result of the visit to the
link above, and I am injected it into the .prj file before running the
script all over again:
PROJCS["Nahrwan 1967 / UTM zone 39N",GEOGCS["Nahrwan
1967",DATUM["D_Nahrwan_1967",SPHEROID["Clarke_1880_RGS",
6378249.145,293.465]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],UNIT["Degree",
0.017453292519943295
]],PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",
0],PARAMETER["central_meridian",51],PARAMETER["scale_factor",
0.9996],PARAMETER["false_easting",500000],PARAMETER["false_northing",
0],UNIT["Meter",1]]
Please let me know if I got this completely wrong and please excuse my
lack of knowledge here.

> UTM is a likely candidate if the data came from a GPS unit, but its
> just a guess.

It did. Garmin GPSMap 60 CS.

But, still, even with the new projection file, this thing still looks
like this:

http://www.ia-stud.hiof.no/~kjellare/misc/gdal_fail3_lebanon.png

I even tried reversing the coordinates in the input file, but with
almost the same result:

http://www.ia-stud.hiof.no/~kjellare/misc/gdal_fail3_lebanon2.png

Hm... Not sure how to proceed from here.

> In Qgis you should be able to reproject to UTM and label your
> points. Qgis will also export to PNG format if that is what you
> want. However I don't think that Qgis will output an ESRI world file
> (the only way that I know to keep a PNG spatially reference... but
> the application uDIG will output a .wld world file to spatially
> reference a PNG).

I am in need of a open source command-line style software here, in
order to automate this entire endevour.
Both uDIG and QGIS appears to be GUI style applications.

Are there a way around this to let me export the shapefiles I have to
a .png raster file to complete my mission?

Kjell Are