[OSGeo-Discuss] Call for help: GDAL and txt2shp.py

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Jul 7 10:26:42 PDT 2008

On 4-Jul-08, at 2:40 AM, Kjell Are Refsvik wrote:

>> - they will be your best friends soon.
>
> I am not completely sure how these two specific programs from the
> gdal package relates to the challenge of outputting a png from 2
> shapefiles (map and legend).

ogrinfo can be used to give a report on the type of coordinates being
used in your shapefile.  You can 'cd' into the directory of your
shapefiles and then type:
ogrinfo yourshapefilename.shp -so -al

This should give you a short report.  When asking for help you can
include this report and others will see more information about your
dataset without having to download it.

gdalinfo operates a similar way but for images and rasters.  This may
not apply to you at the moment.

You can read more about these tools and more in chapter 3 of my book:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596008659/

Fortunately some of these examples are included in the free online
chapter at http://oreilly.com/catalog/webmapping/chapter/ch03.pdf !
(around book page 30)

Hope this helps.  Enjoy,
Tyler