[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: quick survey -

andrea giacomelli pibinko at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 00:29:01 PDT 2008

Hello -

I had one busy week, but also thanks to the replies I had in and out
of the list I am able to take step 2 on this...

I haven't yet had time to check some of the sources I was referred to
(blogs etc)...I will try to do so at some point....

1) the first question of the survey was actually self-contained in the
first mail: how many people from the OSGeo community participated to
the event in Limerick.

2) topic #2 is: for those who participated.

from 0 to 10, how would you rank the level of "adversity" of a "pure
OpenStreetMapper" to "pure GIS technology" ?

take 0 as: "OpenStreetMap technology = GIS technology...there is
simply a distinction in OSM being a project"

take 10 as "GIS is history: OpenStreetMap is here"

3) I am not posing such questions as a form of casual conversation
nor, with a formal role in a local OSGeo chapter, am I rushing to
conclusion that "GIS is better than OSM"

I am seeing, however, at the national level that there is not (yet) a
consensus on the relationship between "OSM and GIS", so I would like
to think what the OSGeo community thinks about this, as food for
thought.

4) let me know if this sounds like an over-sophistication of an issue,
or if you don't even see it as an issue.

5) as things are taking shape for our association at the national
level, I trust that we will be gradually  able to cover more directly
"international" aspects, and may have a more direct view of such
issues. in the meantime: please bear with our "user survey" postings
;)

Regards,

Andrea Giacomelli aka pibinko
vice president and media relations manager - GFOSS.it - Italian OSGeo Chapter