[OSGeo-Discuss] End of life for Community Mapbuilder

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jul 28 08:36:20 PDT 2008

Mike Adair wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> In fact, I've been just thrilled
>> by the degree of cooperation achieved between several of the web
>> mapping client
>> side projects in recent years.  The experience and efforts focused on
>> improvement and exploitation of OpenLayers by those involved in
>> Mapbuilder,
>> ka-map and other projects has helped turn OpenLayers into what I would
>> argue
>> is the "best of breed" role it plays now.
> I just want to point out that a key event in this process was the web
> mapping client BoF at Lausanne where all of the FOSS client projects got
> together and decided to stop re-inventing the wheel.  For me, this is a
> tangible demonstration of the benefits that OSGeo can achieve.

Mike,

Agreed - though one could argue it is more a tangible demonstration that
getting together lots of people from different projects in one place can
have huge benefits.  I do like to believe that OpenLayers transition to
OSGeo with the guarantees of open governance that come with it, were helpful
in making other project developers more comfortable with making a bit
commitment to OpenLayers.

FOSS4G has a variety of goals, but for me it is this "meeting of tribes"
from different projects aspect that is most important.  It provides a
critical opportunity for inter-project cooperation and collaboration.

Best regards,