[OSGeo-Discuss] Chickens, Boards and Export Restrictions

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Jun 15 06:33:40 PDT 2008

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:
> Some Local Chapters are going through this process currently, e.g.
> OSGeo-AustNZ.
>
> We will need to incorporate as a non profit within Australia with its
> overheads of audits, annual fees etc.
>
> One potential upside is that we may get some protection by way of
> Directors Insurance for people making decisions on behalf of OSGeo  (or
> the local chapter).

Bruce,

Are you suggesting that the local chapter would be taking out directors
insurance?  At the OSGeo global level I believe we don't yet have directors
insurance though we are looking into getting it (or perhaps we just got it
recently).  But that would not apply to local chapters which we make some
effort to treat as separate entities to avoid cross-liability.  For instance,
we recently clarified that OSGeo local chapter representatives are not
automatically OSGeo officers at the global level.

So, my point is that local chapters should not assume that being an
official chapter gives them any sort of insurance protection automatically.

> During the recent FOSS4G-2009 work, several of us were left high and dry
> with no protection from the parent body. This situation is not acceptable.

Well, people need to judge acceptable risk, and act accordingly.  In the
past FOSS4G organizers have accepted the potential liability that comes
with the role, with the exception that we generally have venue insurance
for problems that occur on site during the conference (slip and fall, etc).

Best regards,