[OSGeo-Discuss] Thematic Mapping Engine as Open Source?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Jun 23 00:42:52 PDT 2008

Bjorn,

your engine looks excellent (we have been watching your blogging :).
It might be interesting to integrate it somehow with the

 OSGeo Cartographic Library Proposal
 http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Library

Markus

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:01 AM, Bjorn Sandvik
<bjorn at thematicmapping.org> wrote:

> FYI,
>
> In the last couple of months, I've been developing a Thematic Mapping Engine
> (TME):
> http://thematicmapping.org/engine/
> http://blog.thematicmapping.org/2008/06/thematic-mapping-engine.html
>
> TME makes it easy to produce 2D and 3D thematic maps (choropleth, prism,
> proportional symbol and animated maps) with KML. TME is programmed in PHP
> and uses the GD graphics library to generate colour legends.
>
> TME can easily be extended to support various geographical/administrative
> levels, and data could be fetched from various sources. TME could also be
> used as a plug-in to other open source projects.
>
> The engine can be used as a PHP library/API, where KML based thematic maps
> can be generated with a few lines of code. I've also developed a web
> interface based on Ext JS where thematic maps can be created without a
> single line of code.
>
> My plan is to release TME as an open source project under a GNU GPL license
> v3, and use SourceForge as a code repository.
>
> Is there any interest in using this application among other open source
> projects? Are there any funding opportunities? I'm also interested in
> getting to know people who would like to contribute to this project.
>

> Regards,
> Bjorn Sandvik
>
> bjorn at thematicmapping.org

Open Source Geospatial Foundation