[OSGeo-Discuss] Thematic Mapping Engine as Open Source?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Tue Jun 24 05:01:17 PDT 2008

Bjorn Sandvik wrote:

> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> I'll consider the pros and cons between different licenses. I don't have
> commercial interests,
> but I would like the project to be sustainable.
>
> I've changed my mind about using SourceForge, - I agree that Google Code
> is more suitable.

Just as a side note: Google has been overly submissive to US Export Regulations and rejects requests from IPs that can be traced to a location within an country that falls under their export ban list. Unfortunately the same applies to SourceForge.

Thus publishing your project through Google Code or SourceForge effectively prevents interested folks from joining the project if they are citizen of a nation that falls under the US Export Regulations. This also applies to people only visiting such countries.

Best regards,
Arnulf.