[OSGeo-Discuss] packaging FOSS GIS for education

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Mar 4 10:15:19 PST 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) ha scritto:

> But, other than the work Frank is doing on OSGeo for Windows, I don't
> know of much packaging work that is happening.  I have also heard that
> Ominiverdi, or Luca Casagrande at least, is working on a new LiveCD
> based on Ubuntu.  I think that counts as building a platform, but isn't
> specifically addressing any particular OSGeo effort.

People from qgis (tisham and an Italian guy) have done a lot of work to
build qgis for win with a lot of dependencies (grass, gdal, postgresql,
etc.), so it may be worth the while not to duplicate work.
The debiangis initiative also aims at this. It would be beautiful to
have fresh packets for the whole osgeo stack (plus a few others, namely
postgis), maybe also development version, to enjoy wider and easier testing.
pc
--
Paolo Cavallini, see: http://www.faunalia.it/pc