[OSGeo-Discuss] packaging FOSS GIS for education

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Mar 4 10:07:46 PST 2008

On 2-Mar-08, at 1:51 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> Is the wiki below the best we currently have for Linux
> and MS Windows?
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Binary_Package_Listing

Hi Helena,
I pulled that page together so that anyone who wanted to help with
packaging would have a place to start.  I have also been testing some
scripts, locally, to monitor when project versions change -- with the
end goal of updating that wiki to reflect the update.  As you can
imagine it changes regularly and is already out of date.

But, other than the work Frank is doing on OSGeo for Windows, I don't
know of much packaging work that is happening.  I have also heard
that Ominiverdi, or Luca Casagrande at least, is working on a new
LiveCD based on Ubuntu.  I think that counts as building a platform,
but isn't specifically addressing any particular OSGeo effort.

Tyler