[OSGeo-Discuss] packaging FOSS GIS for education

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Mar 1 17:37:42 PST 2008

Helena Mitasova wrote:
> This is sort of follow up on discussion from October last year:
>
> We would like to install OSGeo software stack at
> several labs at NCSU (linux, Mac, Windows)
> as well as provide it through Virtual Computing Lab
> eventually to all universities in the UNC system.
> To do it efficiently it would be great if I could
> point our IT admins to a single site where they can
> download everything.
> Is the wiki below the best we currently have for Linux
> and MS Windows?
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Binary_Package_Listing

Helena,

I would note that serious work is starting on OSGeo4W, an
cross project effort to provide a network based installer for
windows.

  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo4W

I have made a few updates to the above and related pages to note this.

> or is there an ongoing effort following the objectives
> stated here and discussed on this list?
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Binary_Distribution

For now the only part of this being pursued as pan-OSGeo
effort is win32 via OSGeo4W.

Best regards,