[OSGeo-Discuss] packaging FOSS GIS for education

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat Mar 1 16:51:13 PST 2008

This is sort of follow up on discussion from October last year:

We would like to install OSGeo software stack at
several labs at NCSU (linux, Mac, Windows)
as well as provide it through Virtual Computing Lab
eventually to all universities in the UNC system.
To do it efficiently it would be great if I could
point our IT admins to a single site where they can
download everything.

Lorenzo Moretti's download page that includes GRASS,
QGIS, GDAL and number of additional libraries,
Mapserver, Thuban and Jump is a nice example for Mac
http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/download.htm

And there is another one for Mac from William Kyngesburye
http://www.kyngchaos.com/wiki/software:unixport

Is the wiki below the best we currently have for Linux
and MS Windows?
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Binary_Package_Listing

or is there an ongoing effort following the objectives
stated here and discussed on this list?
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Binary_Distribution

Thanks a lot for an update (if anybody has been working on this),

Helena