[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Sign the Hague declaration

Fee, James JMFee at tecinc.com
Thu May 15 09:56:57 PDT 2008

Landon Blake wrote

>>  I would remind Mr. Fee, very humbly (of course), that he is on the
OSGeo
>>  mailing list, so in some respects he's chosen a fight in which he is
>>  very outnumbered. I don't know how productive it is to aggressively
>>  defend something like the .doc format on a mailing list for
proponents
>>  of open source software. :]

Let me assure you I'm am cursing Microsoft Office as we speak.

My point isn't that .doc is a good format, but it is readily available
to read in many software packages (some very free and open).  Things
like ESRI's File Geodatabase are probably formats that I would tend to
agree are an impediment to sharing data, but I don't see how any of the
MS formats are limiting people using them or creating them.

--
James Fee, GISP
Associate
internet:  jmfee at tecinc.com