[OSGeo-Discuss] Discussion on Routing

Claude Philipona claude.philipona at camptocamp.com
Wed Nov 12 08:47:13 PST 2008

I agree with the needed improvements described by Stephen.

I think the memory issue is big issue too and not well addresses right now.

On the other hand, I don't think that a routing solution should really
strongly depend on a Spatial databases. Actually, the optimization is
more  a network optimization type of problem. The geographic data is in
fact important only for the presentation of the path in one specific
case of routing. So I'm really looking to have some datasource independence.

There is also more and more needs for multi-modal routing, not only by
cars, but point to point that can combine walk, bicycle, train, metro,
car, ... I think that Open Source routing could play a role on that field.

For a project sponsored by the french ministery in collaboration with a
partner, we did some investigations combining algorithms for multimodal
routing optimization. I think it is important to include these needs
when we will be thinking on the global architecture, even if the those
complex algorithms won't be the first one to be integrated. We are ready
to put some effort on this.

Claude