[OSGeo-Discuss] Questions about CS-Map, ArcSDE 9.3, buffer operations

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Fri Oct 3 08:32:15 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 07:48:02AM -0700, surrounded wrote:

> Excuse my ignorance - here goes,
>
> I am building a GIS web application using FDO 3.3.1, C#.net, MS Virtual
> Earth, and Silverlight.  As I am not sure of the relationship between OSGeo
> and FDO, I will post these questions here:
>
> 1) I need to project coordinate systems (ex. WGS 1984 to state plane) and
> cannot find a way to do this using FDO.  WHAT TOOLS ARE AVAILABLE UNDER THE
> OSGeo UMBRELLA TO MAKE PROJECTIONS.  IF CS-MAP (recent donation from
> AutoDesk) IS THE TOOL TO USE FOR PROJECTING COODINATE SYSTEMS, WHERE DO I
> DOWNLOAD IT FROM?

http://trac.osgeo.org/csmap/ points to
http://trac.osgeo.org/csmap/wiki/HowToGetTheSourceCode which seems to
indicate there is no release of the CS-Map code, so you'll be
building/installing from SVN.

However, like the previous poster, I agree that you may be better off
*not* using CS-Map, and using poj.4 at this time. CS-Map is a recently
open sourced project, and thus is still (in my estimation) in a
relative untested state of its current incarnation. proj.4, has been a
relatively stable project over the past long while, and is probably
slighly more tested in its current state. (And it has releases and
binaries for many packages due to this...)

> 2) FDO 3.3.1 currently supports ArcSDE 9.2.  DOES FDO 3.3.1 ALSO SUPPORT
> ArcSDE 9.3?  IF NOT WHEN WILL THAT HAPPEN?

I'd recommend this question isbest directed to the DO list rather than
included along with these other questions on this list.

> 2) I need the ability to buffer features and cannot find a way to do this
> using FDO.  WHAT OSGeo TOOLS ARE AVAILABLE FOR BUFFERING FEATURES WHOSE
> OBJECTS ARE COMPATABLE WITH FDO?

I would typically use GEOS/OGR for that. I have no idea aabout its
compatibility with FDO, but I wouldn't be that hopeful.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer