[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G 2009 Code sprint

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen.Ticheler at geocat.net
Mon Oct 13 02:39:08 PDT 2008

Hi Tim,

On Oct 12, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Tim Bowden wrote:

> Just to confuse things again, we're reconsidering the idea of having
> it
> before.  It runs the risk of diverting attention from the last minute
> things that need to be done in the run up to the conf itself.  After
> is
> looking like a great option right now (which would reduce by 1 the
> number of nights accommodation as well).

I think that if there's a clear goal set for the Code Sprint and its
relation to the conference, it can actually help to get a good turnout
and instead of diverting attention it could increase it. If it is
organized as _just a code sprint_ without objective(s) the risk is
indeed there, otherwise I think the contrary can be true.

You suggested the idea of an interoperability integration showcase,
maybe as a permanent platform that shows both proprietary and open
source software interoperate. I think that is an excellent idea and is
well worth pursuing in collaboration with OGC and vendors. If such
goal is pursued, a three days final preparation code sprint would be
extremely valuable, also with respect to the workshops in the
conference.

I realize that both conference and code sprint are tiring events, so
having them in one rush can be exhaustive. If there's a good chance to
relax between the two (a long weekend) however, it may be worthwhile.

My 2 cents, ciao,
Jeroen