[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G 2009 Code sprint

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 23:50:35 PDT 2008

Tim Sutton wrote:
> code sprint. Another option to consider could be to start the sprint
> on the day before the core conf. starts and then to provide a code
> sprint space (we could have used the speaker prep room this year since
> it was underutilised) and allow for ad hoc coding get togethers during
> the conference. Of course having the sprint at the start of the conf
> does have the negative of people being seriously jetlagged to begin
> with....(as opposed to being seriously hung over at the end...).

Hi Tim; this kind of defeats the purpose of having a code sprint - the
idea is that the developer communities are going to want to hack at some
point. By scheduling a code sprint at the end of the conference we can
avoid a repeat of 2006 where developers hung out on the tables (ignoring
the conference they had paid to attend).

By having a code sprint at the end; it is my hope that the developer
teams can get out there and meet people (yeah OSGeo) and have a weeks
worth of good ideas and contact with other projects heading into the
code sprint.

Jody