[OSGeo-Discuss] Can we use a LiveDVD for workshops and labs at FOSS4G 2009?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 13:30:34 PDT 2008

I'm wondering whether it will be achievable and desirable to use a
GeoFOSS LiveDVD as the only installed operating system at workshops and
labs at FOSS4G 2009.

If we can achieve this, it will have many benefits:
* Labs will be easier to configure and setup
* We would avoid M$ licence costs as the image is based on linux
* After FOSS4G we would have a proven LiveDVD which can be used for
workshops and labs at smaller OSGeo events around the world

The cost to us as a community is that we will need to invest in getting
all our software packaged up into the LiveDVD (which of course will have
many spin off benefits) as per:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2008/10/creating-geofoss-distribution-pipeline.html

So my questions to communities are:

Do you and your project think you would commit to packaging your project
into a debian based LiveDVD before FOSS4G in October 2009?

For presenters, would you want to add tutorial material to the LiveDVD,
which would mean using an Open licence like Creative Commons?