[OSGeo-Discuss] Can we use a LiveDVD for workshops and labs at FOSS4G 2009?

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Sun Oct 19 14:02:03 PDT 2008

On 2008/10/19 1:30 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> I'm wondering whether it will be achievable and desirable to use a
> GeoFOSS LiveDVD as the only installed operating system at workshops
> and labs at FOSS4G 2009.

> So my questions to communities are:
>
> Do you and your project think you would commit to packaging your
> project into a debian based LiveDVD before FOSS4G in October 2009?
>
> For presenters, would you want to add tutorial material to the
> LiveDVD, which would mean using an Open licence like Creative
> Commons?

I would start by asking a different question - does anyone
foresee any issue with not having MS Windows available as
an option for Workshops/Labs for FOSS4G 2009?

We might not want to restrict the discussion to "OSGeo projects".
What if a Sponsor, or Exhibitor, or 'some software company', or
'some non-OSGeo project' submitted a proposal to deliver a
Workshop/Lab, and it merited consideration for inclusion in the
conference, but it required MS Windows?

Were there Workshops/Labs at FOSS4G 2008 that could not have
been delivered without having MS Windows?

If we assume that there was 'some need' for MS Windows for
FOSS4G 2009, but that it wasn't needed for "all the PCs",
how would people react to Workshops/Labs that required
MS Windows also requiring a higher registration fee?
(i.e. higher by the incremental cost of the license to
use MS Windows on the PC for the Workshop/Lab)

P.S.
It helps if everyone uses the term "Instructors" when
referring to Workshops/Labs, because "Presenter" makes
people think of "Presentations", and sometimes that
causes confusion.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems