[OSGeo-Discuss] GeoFOSS LiveDVD - test it before we burn it

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Thu Sep 25 09:40:58 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 11:52 +0200, graeme mcferren wrote:
> Hi Tim,
> I have downloaded a copy of the .iso locally and will make a Live DVD of
> it + a DVD with the .iso on it, so we at least have a South African copy
> of it.
>
> Graeme

Thanks Graeme,

Much appreciated.  I didn't get it all downloaded before I left home,
but I'm now sitting in Changi Airport (Singapore) where I've discovered
the *free* wireless internet access is *much* faster than my adsl at
home.  The download will be finished before I catch my next flight.  I
wasn't expecting that.  I'm planning on dropping a copy of to
www.multiskillmedia.co.za when I get there in the morning.

Regards,
Tim
> On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 09:58 +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> > Mark,  Please don't let that cutoff slip.  How long will your upload
> > take?  I've got to start a download as soon as it's finished (note to
> > self- I wonder if I can start slurping shortly after you start
> > uploading?  Is there an rsync daemon on the server?  That might make it
> > quicker).  I'm taking a hard copy with me in case the duplication house
> > has issues with the download size (they've flagged this yesterday as the
> > size has grown a bit).  I'll be leaving tomorrow at lunchtime, so that's
> > cutting it fine as is.
> >
> > If there is anyone already in Cape Town on a fast link who can download
> > in a timely manner, please drop me a line.  I prefer to have more
> > contingency plans ;-)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tim
> > On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 09:04 +1000, Mark Leslie wrote:
> > > Lorenzo,
> > > That would be much appreciated, and I'll get the mapfile in right away.
> > > We are planning on starting to build the 'final' image this afternoon,
> > > so we've got an effective cutoff of 3pm AEST.  Anything you can get in
> > > before then we'll be sure to add.
> > > <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=9&day=24&year=2008&hour=15&min=0&sec=0&p1=240>
> > >
> > > I've put together a quick, and not especially impressive, mapfile and
> > > cgi template using some australian data, so that will be in there as
> > > well, but the cgi interface doesn't look too impressive.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mark Leslie
> > > Geospatial Software Architect
> > > LISAsoft

> > > Ph: +61 2 8570 5000 Fax: +61 2 8570 5099 Mob: +61
> > > Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf 19-21 Pirrama Rd Pyrmont NSW 2009
> > >
> > > LISAsoft is part of the A2end Group of Companies
> > > http://www.ardec.com.au
> > > http://www.lisasoft.com
> > > http://www.terrapages.com

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.