[OSGeo-Discuss] Fw: open access resources/Natural Earth Data & Cartography 2.0

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Thu Dec 3 23:41:52 PST 2009

Martin Bunch wrote:
> FYI

Great resource, thanks for the link.

One slightly off topic comment on the term "non-commercial" further down...:

> Martin J. Bunch, PhD
> Associate Professor
> Faculty of Environmental Studies
> York University
> Tel: 416-736-2100 x:22630
> Fax: 416-736-5679
> ________________________
> This electronic mail (e-mail), including any attachments, is intended
> only for the recipient(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain
> information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from
> disclosure. No waiver of privilege, confidentiality or any other
> protection is intended by virtue of its communication by the internet.
> Any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this e-mail in error, or are not named as a
> recipient, please immediately notify the sender and destroy all copies
> of it.
>
> -----Forwarded by Martin Bunch/fs/YorkU on 12/03/2009 09:18PM -----
>
>     To: CAG List <caglist at lists.uvic.ca>
>     From: Kristopher Olds <olds at geography.wisc.edu>
>     Sent by: caglist-bounces at lists.uvic.ca
>     Date: 12/03/2009 08:05PM
>     Subject: [Caglist] open access resources/Natural Earth Data &
>     Cartography 2.0
>
>     Hi - Canadian geographers, with geospatial interests, might be
>     interested in some new open source, non-commercial resources our

The use of the term "non-commercial" in this context is probably meant
to convey that the sources do not originate from a commercial project.
It should not be confused with a restriction of use as some Creative
Commons licenses optionally have. This data has been released to the
Public Domain and can be used for any purpose. The web site has a
concise terms of use page:
http://www.naturalearthdata.com/about/terms-of-use/

Thanks for this, it is the maximum possible level of freedom for data.
Well done, well done.

Regards,
Arnulf.

>     faculty, staff and students (and their colleagues) have been heavily
>     involved in developing.
>
>     The first is Natural Earth Data, an effort to create a comprehensive
>     set
>     of freely accessible geospatial data. The effort was led over the past
>     six months by Nathaniel Kelso of the Washington Post and Tom Patterson
>     of the US National Park Service. The data is now freely available here:
>
>     http://www.naturalearthdata.com/
>
>     Additional information:
>     http://kelsocartography.com/blog/?p=3173
>
>     The second is Cartography 2.0, a free online knowledge base and
>     e-textbook for students and professionals interested in interactive and
>     animated maps:
>     http://cartography2.org/
>
>     We hope these resources are of use to some of you.
>
>     Best wishes,
>
>     Kris
>

>     <><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>     Kris Olds