[OSGeo-Discuss] Question about FOSS4G Business Models

Miguel Montesinos mmontesinos at prodevelop.es
Fri Dec 18 05:25:13 PST 2009

Hi Rafal,

I've been mentioned, so I'm involved ;-)

I can give you some generic hints. I suggest (if you haven't) having a look at Wikinomics [1].

Regarding gvSIG, there are not metric data collected so far. I can tell you that companies (not only Iver and Prodevelop) working around gvSIG, started sharing traditional closed  business models (I call them deprived models, because they limit what you can do with the software) with open-source ones, and the results happily "forced" us to leave deprived models towards an open-source one. AFAIK, we both have no new incomes from deprived models, but old legacy systems under maintenance.

The only metric that I can provide you is that at Prodevelop, our revenues have increased 160 % in a 4 year period "mainly" due to the adoption of FOSS4G business models.

Another contribution to this can be made by Luis W. Sevilla, who (if I'm not wrong) recently convinced his managers to move to open source business models.

[1] http://www.wikinomics.com

Regards,

Miguel Montesinos
CTO