[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Will there be an OSGeo Desktop shootout atFOSS4G 2010?

Brian Russo brian at beruna.org
Tue Dec 22 01:39:29 PST 2009

I do not think a simple feature comparison is very useful. Seeing workflows
that happen to use XYZ software or.. how we transitioned from ABC
proprietary software to XYZ open source and improved performance 10% while
reducing costs 20% etc.. that's useful and convincing. Knowing that ABC
proprietary supports 3 methods of kriging while XYZ open source supports 2
may be earthshattering or completely irrelevant. The real answer is an
unexciting "It depends".

You can tweak feature comparisons to make yourself look good, the
competition look bad.. etc..  It's just like statistics. I see this in
camera reviews all the time, The Pentax K200D has a 96% viewfinder.
Comparable models from Nikon and Canon offer 95% viewfinders. Call me
cynical, but I find it hard to believe that someone at Pentax didn't say
"Let's make our number bigger". Of course, in many reviews of those models,
the Pentax scores higher on that feature because 96 > 95 [1]. Does that make
it a better camera? Well gee I guess if you only cared about that 1 thing; I
don't know anyone that does (or should).

What you don't see in feature comparisons are solid, no-B$ analyses of how
they let you do your job better. Usability for example is something that you
cannot easily quantify. You can have the best product/software in the world
but if I can't get the results due to UI/UX failure, or an unnecessarily
steep learning curve, etc; then for me the user - your software is 100%
useless (actually it's worse because now I have to find a tool that does
work). Handtools are a classic example of this; anyone that works with wood
or mechanical parts will understand how some tools just don't "feel" right.
Do they feel 20% less right? Doesn't work that way.

Not to say that feature comparisons are completely useless, especially for
new people they can be good; but overall they're coarse, imprecise, and not
very knowledge-rich IMO. Case studies of transition are much more powerful;
speaking both as a user and a decisionmaker. I think moving towards active
real-world presentations is far more powerful than lifeless comparisons.

Another example is people that love SSDs (solid state drives) and rave about
their Windows boot times. Yeah SSDs are great but.. do you just sit around
and reboot your computer all day? A 2000% improvement on something I do once
a month is probably not that big of a deal.

 - bri

p.s. I shoot nikon but I really don't care what you shoot and have 0 vested
interest; just an example.

1. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxK200D/page20.asp