[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Will there be an OSGeo Desktop shootout atFOSS4G 2010?

Daniel Ames amesdani at isu.edu
Tue Dec 22 10:07:50 PST 2009

Hi all,

This is a great discussion and I think that we're all generally on the same
page. Here's a little more food for thought regarding a desktop shootout:

Why compare to ESRI? The answer is because they own the lion's share of the
market with "one-third of the global market share, and are used by nearly 80
percent of GIS users worldwide from all professions." (at least that's what
Wikipedia says...).

So if this is true, then that means that 80% of GIS users are asking the
question, "Why should I use desktop open source XXX instead of ESRI?" And
the three main sub-questions are:

Can I open the same files?
Can I make the same maps?
Can I do the same analyses?
Can I teach the same lessons?

So rather than looking inward at ourselves and watching a "shoot out"
between the FOSS solutions (which presumably results with someone lying dead
and bleeding on the floor...), it be more productive and better for the
"cause" to look *outward *and do some kind of a comparison that helps those
80% of all GIS users answer the questions above?

Something like the MS thesis about GRASS and ArcGIS that was mentioned, but
web-based and updated by the various project members. I'd be happy to commit
some student resources to this evaluation, particularly if some subcommittee
of people could agree on what the tests would entail.

- Dan

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Miguel Montesinos <
mmontesinos at prodevelop.es> wrote:

>  Hello,
>

> I think that a simple comparison to what ArcGIS does is limitating. Several
> issues arises:
>

> -          Why compare to ArcGIS 9.3 and not Geomedia, MapInfo,…?
>
> -          What about features that OS GIS desktops provides not present
> in ArcGIS 9.3?
>

> I’d rather have a comparison among all of them under equal conditions, for
> instance a feature comparison based on the maximum features all products
> offer, as well as a perfomance analysis.
>

> For this, a common dataset of both file and service based data should be
> available. In Spain there are “a lot” of public official geodata which could
> be used as test datasets.
>

> I also like very much Paul Ramsey’s approach about what I like and what I
> don’t made by people belonging to different projects.
>

> Regards,

> Miguel Montesinos
>
> CTO
>
> PRODEVELOP, S.L.