[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Include remote sensing software in OSGeo desktop shootout? Re: Discuss Digest, Vol 36, Issue 31

Pilant.Drew at epamail.epa.gov Pilant.Drew at epamail.epa.gov
Wed Dec 23 07:53:17 PST 2009

Dear All,

The discussion of an OSGeo desktop shootout prompts me to inquire if
remote sensing / image processing software could be included in the
comparison. Or, does anyone have an existing comparison of features and
capabilities?

More specifically, how do the FOSS remote sensing toolkits compare with
commercial packages such as ENVI, ERDAS Imagine, PCI Geomatics, Idrisi,
ECognition, Feature Analyst, Genie Pro, etc (sorry for any omissions on
this list). Where are the gaps?

By remote sensing packages, I'm referring to software that ingests
satellite and aerial imagery and data (optical, infrared, thermal
infrared, SAR, LIDAR, microwave), and applies various transformations,
filters and workflows to generate geospatial information and maps. The
remote sensing output is typically imported into GIS for further analysis
and visualization.

Many thanks and happy holidays,

Drew

Drew Pilant, Ph.D.