[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Include remote sensing software in OSGeo desktop shootout? Re: Discuss Digest, Vol 36, Issue 31

Stefan Steiniger sstein at geo.uzh.ch
Wed Dec 23 09:13:53 PST 2009

Hei Drew,

my question to you would be: Which FOS remote sensing packages do you
know? I did not found many in my survey made in the beginning of
December (this year). So, I think the state here is worse than for
desktop GIS. I found the following tools:

desktop:
- OSSIM - desktop RS app
- Opticks - desktop RS app
- InterImage - desktop Image Analysis Package
- ILWIS(Open) - desktop GIS & RS app
other:
- GDL - free IDL processor
- orfeo - image processing and analysis toolbox
- imagej - image processing and analysis toolbox

But they all address quite different things.
Do you know more? E.g. tools that build on/extend WorldWind?
I know only of some some more free-of-cost apps.

but I would not mix/include it into the desktop GIS comparison, although
some GIS offer RS features.

stefan