[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-fr - IGN meeting] CCLA issues

Yves Jacolin (free) yjacolin at free.fr
Thu Feb 5 12:51:52 PST 2009

Hi,

This email focus on CCLA issues.

This issues was raised when IGN tried to send their code back to the
OpenLayers project as they have to sign a CCLA [1].

A french public organism can't sign an agreement wrote in english,  the fact
that CCLA was assigned to MetaCarta is also a problem.

We know that IGN signed an agreement with Autodesk to allow Autodesk to share
some free data (free as a free beer). The agreement was in english, but it
seems there is a french translation/localisation with a header which said
that the english agreement have to be used as a reference (in a more legal
style).

Paying a localisation of a CCLA seems not a good way, the cost could be too
important, hard and need to do it again for each change of the CCLA.

Do you think paying a localisation of the CCLA is a good way (if IGN pay for
localisation for instance).

Do they OSGeo could provide some CCLA template?

How other project are managing CCLA?

Any tips are welcome,

Best regards,

Y.
--
Yves Jacolin
[1] http://www.openlayers.org/ccla.txt

"Give freedom to people is not enough, we also have to give them the power
to use this freedom, to act". M Gauchet