[OSGeo-Discuss] RE: [Majas-dev] [Majas-users] Flex in geomajas

strk strk at keybit.net
Tue Feb 24 07:07:00 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:47:57AM -0500, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> So long as you are willing to completely ignore that Flash now has
> multiple players, anyway. (Gnash is becoming competent enough that it's
> actually usable, and in some cases, more so than existing Flash
> clients.) With the opening of the Flash spec and the existence of
> multiple players, if you actually care about hitting the niche markets
> currently served by non-Adobe Flash, you're in the same boat as you are
> in the browser world.

Gnash can also be used on embedded systems.
See screenshots here: http://wiki.gnashdev.org/Gnash#Screenshots

If you stick with older SWF version compatibilities you keep
the door open for embedded mapping apps with a flash look&feel.

I've been working on such setup for years:
 http://simm-dev.keybit.net

SIMM is free software and builds with Ming (also free software)
producing SWF versions which can be played with Gnash, and using
mapserver-like mapfiles as input for the dataset generator:
http://simm-dev.keybit.net/modules/geoswf/index.html

If you're interested in that tecnology drop me a note.

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!