[OSGeo-Discuss] RE: [Majas-dev] [Majas-users] Flex in geomajas

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Feb 24 09:56:07 PST 2009

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:01:34AM -0300, Leonardo Mateo wrote:
>> Ok, here's my grain of sand. I don't know what geomajas is, so I don't
>> know how much Flex would impact on this.
>> I've been working with Flex from the past two years or so, now a days
>> a little less intensive, but still working. I've worked with two or
>> three map API's for Flex and I have to say that totally worth it.
>> About the speed, I haven't seen any benchmark bu ActionScript3 should
>> be way faster than JavaScript and should work fine with large amount
>> of data, wether you use raw XML or some other technology such as AMF*.
>> About the downside Pieter mention there, I think in these days, the
>> Flash plugin is something you should have on a browser, it is not a
>> strange requirement anymore.
>
> However, in corporate environments (enterprise) or in the case of Open
> Souce geeks, you have two groups of people who commonly dnt have Flash
> installed -- the former due to to corporate policy, the latter due to
> sometimes esoteric operating systems and setups that don't support it.
> (For example, Flash, the last time I was aware, still didn't natively
> work on 64bit...)

64bit on Linux is available now as Adobe binary, but it always lags on
the release for several months. Ensuring Gnash compatibility would be
better.

If you want people to use your tool at work that corporate non-admin on
machines is a killer. Not even a direct policy against flash, just a
"your not allowed to install anything" policy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't do it, just remember to
acknowledge alternatives, at minimum an error message telling people why
the page doesn't work. But better an alternative viewer with less fancy
stuff.

Alex