[OSGeo-Discuss] osgeo4w setup.exe source code?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 25 19:51:07 PST 2009

nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au wrote:
>> Hello list.
>> Thanks everyone for the great work done with OSGeo4W.
>> I have a strange (maybe) question. I suppose that osgeo4w setup.exe is
>> a fork of the cygwin's setup. Is it possible to view/download its
>> source code?
>
>> Thanks, Giovanni
>
> I have a different question.
>
> Is setup.exe the best way to install software on microsoft windows?
>
> Has Windows Installer, that is an .msi file been considered?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_installer
>
> I know that my IT section has a strong preference for software
> to be installed via .msi.

Nick,

Originally we were hopeful about being able to produce MSI files as these
are considered to be easier for some IT departments to deploy.  But in
the end it did not appear that MSI files provide support for many of the
things we wanted to address.  Notably - fine grained packages, dependencies,
upgrade versioning, and only downloading the parts that are needed from the
net.

I would like to think that the OSGeo4W .tar.bz2 package files could still
be repackaged as MSI files for specific situations.

Best regards,