[OSGeo-Discuss] case studies on FOSS Geo for local governance

Pieter De Graef pieter.degraef at geosparc.com
Thu Mar 12 06:17:28 PDT 2009

Rafal Wawer schreef:
> Hi Maning,
>
> For me the best success story is gvSIG project, which was actually
> created on behalf of Valencia's local government. I am sure there are
> planty of gvSIG users on that mailing list - they can tell best how it
> works. gvSIG's website: http://www.gvsig.gva.es/
>
> At the European level you can look into IDABC's Open Source
> Observatory and Repository www.osor.eu.
>
> In Belgian region of Flanders the government uses OSS as a tool for
> agricultural policy - geGIS project www.gegis.org The case on
> application in egovernment is discussed here:
> http://www.cascadoss.eu/en/images/Workshop/gegis_workshop.pdf
>
> Best regards:
>
> Raf
>
> Dr. Rafal Wawer
> K.U.Leuven
> R&D Division SADL (Spatial Application Division)
> Celestijnenlaan 200e bus 2224
> BE-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
> Belgium
> tel. 0032 16 329731
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "maning sambale"
> <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com>

The http://www.gegis.org/ website is mainly in Dutch, but part of it has
been translated to Enlgish (see the button on the right).

The main idea behind gegis was to build a platform, able to read and
update geographical data from different sources, and to be able to
disclose this data again to other instances. In this way, everyone can
manage his own data using the geGIS client, and distribute it read-only
to anyone else needing it. You can see this in the pdf file on pages 22
and 23.

--
Pieter De Graef

GeoSparc nv.