[OSGeo-Discuss] case studies on FOSS Geo for local governance

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 06:47:20 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM, maning sambale
<emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are looking for case studies/success stories in deploying FOSS Geo
> for local government.  I earnestly believe that FOSS tools are
> available for adoption in local government.  Critical is how to
> integrated them to a provincial/city wide government IT
> infrastructure.  In the Philippines, geospatial technologies are often
> used in:
>
> property/parcel tax mapping
> zoning
> development planning
>
> However, in most cases these "domains" are "loosely" integrated.
> Sometimes the GIS in the planning division doesn't "communicate" with
> the assesor's office in terms of data management.  What we are looking
> for are stories that integrate FOSS GEO tools in the overall IT
> infrastructure.  I know some of the strategies maybe "institutional"
> rather than technical in nature.
>
> What technologies do we need (dbase managment, server, desktop apps)?
> How do we provide capacity to local government staff?
> How do we integrate the data into planning?

I have built MapServer applications for several counties and have them
linked from my website. www.greenwoodmap.com They integrate data in
legacy databases from Assessor, Treasurer, Clerk, Planning&Zoning
departments and make the aggregated data available back to the
departments, to the public, and to emergency responders. I use
PostgreSQL for the data processing and as the backend for the
websites. These are examples, not case studies.

Best regards,
Rich

--
Richard Greenwood