[OSGeo-Discuss] GIS_Libraries

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue May 5 09:24:47 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Daniel Ames <amesdani at isu.edu> wrote:
> Nenad,
> The OSGeo projects use a variety of licenses. You'll see LGPL, MPL, GPL,
> MIT, and others. If you are developing commercial tools, you'll need to
> avoid GPL (someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

----
Disclaimer: IANAL. Get legal advice from your lawyer before embarking
on your million dollar enterprise.
----

I'll correct you, because, as stated above, you are misrepresenting at
best, and wrong at worst. ;-)

GPL does not prevent you from making money. GPL only requires that if
you modify the code that is under GPL, then you must redistribute the
modified code under GPL. Granted this may not be easy to figure out in
real world scenarios, but consider the following --

Let's say ShapeLib is published under GPL (I don't know whether or not
it is; this is only for illustration purpose). Let's say, MapServer
utilizes ShapeLib, but doesn't modify ShapeLib, but uses ShapeLib as
is. Let's say, MapServer's creator decides to make millions off of
MapServer, Inc. He is under no obligation to release the source code
of MapServer, but he is obligated to release the source code of
ShapeLib, which is no big deal, because the source code of ShapeLib is
already available to anyone.

On the other hand, let's say, ShapeLib is modified to perform better,
or differently, for MapServer. Now, there is an obligation to release
the source code to the modified version of ShapeLib no matter what the
value of that value-added might be. That is what the GPL obligates.
MapServer itself is still governed by whatever license that its
creator decides to apply.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org/
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org/
Charter Member, Open Source Geospatial Foundation http://www.osgeo.org/