[OSGeo-Discuss] Comparision between MapServer/OpenLayers and ESRI ArcIMS

John Callahan john.callahan at UDel.Edu
Tue May 26 22:15:11 PDT 2009

A few more thoughts after reading your email again...

I don't think an ESRI solution can do much of what you mention out of
the box aside from creating basic ArcMap MXDs and ArcScene SXDs (used
with 3D Analyst) that utilize database connections to ArcSDE.  These
only work in a LAN with access to a database and not web enabled.  Any
AGS or modeling application would need to be developed. AGS and desktop
development is tough for people to learn unless they are already
proficient in NET or Java.  MapServer (and other FOSS apps) can utilize
languages like PHP, Python, etc.., that are easier to get up to speed
with, IMO.

I've always pushed the benefits of modular design when looking at
solutions against the ESRI suite.  Arc* is notorious for
incompatibilities among versions; this includes proprietary data formats
(GDB), projects files (MXDs) and of course software.  Development is
only done via ESRI for their own reasons and all packages go together.
As we all know, modular allows different components to be developed
independently.  That means pieces can be enhanced, debugged, patched,
and replaced without affecting the whole.  As new technologies come out,
they can easily be put into the workflow.  The architecture can include
numerous platforms, languages, and packages, depending on whatever the
user/developer experience is. This argument has gone far with a few
people I've talked with.

I don't know of any database cataloging system for ESRI.  ArcSDE can
store spatial metadata for each dataset but that's not a catalog.  GIS
Portal Toolkit is a metadata catalog but it's not automated in any way,
and I've never had luck using it.  GPT has been based on ArcIMS but now
I hear it's moving to AGS.  So, that's something to investigate.

For open source, I would look into deegree (http://www.deegree.org/) for
many of the OGC services, WMS, WFS-T. WCS, etc...  It does a great job
as a catalog and map/data server.  It also shouldn't be too hard to
develop a python script using SQL (for database connections) and
gdal/ogr (for flat files) to browse through your collections and create
entries in deegree.  I haven't done it but I recall some past thread on
the python scripting part.

Training is expensive for any ArcGIS product.  ESRI charges about $490
per day for instructor led training.  And you would need training on AGS
and ArcSDE (intro and advanced for both) and several on ArcGIS Desktop
use, depending on user experience.  ESRI does have some online training
which are good (and cheap) for entry level to GIS.  Their development
courses are also only for intro to development.  Although ESRI does have
plenty of training opportunities, even if expensive, at least they exist.

AGS, ArcIMS, ArcSDE, use Windows services or *nix deamons.  I've always
had these systems crash for one reason or another.  ArcIMS crashed often
when people published incorrect metadata (through ArcCatalog) to it's
metadata services.  In any event, there always needed to be an ESRI
expert around when the system crashed.  Even a simple app had too many
GIS-related parts. We could not just leave it to the sys admins once the
GIS app got going.  MapServer has been easier on the sys admins as it's
cgi based.  And, the map files are simple text files that anyone can read.

The only user access system I know if withing ESRI is through ArcSDE.
That is just a pass through to the database.  All accounts/roles and
permissions are setup in the database.  The desktop applications do
respect user credentials when connecting to ArcSDE, whether it's for
desktop viewing or creating a web map service that will be published
through AGS.  I don't know if AGS has it's own security system other
than the admin login for management.

Well, I hope some of this helps...

- John

John Callahan
Geospatial Application Developer
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware
227 Academy St, Newark DE 19716-7501
Tel: (302) 831-3584  Email: john.callahan at udel.edu
http://www.dgs.udel.edu