[OSGeo-Discuss] distributing "read-only" vector files?

Rafal Wawer Rafal.Wawer at sadl.kuleuven.be
Tue Nov 3 05:16:39 PST 2009

Hi Maning,
Normally many of those problem are solved by issuing metadata along with datasets. You can state there clearly who the provider and distributor is and what limitations of the use and distribution have, also the version, last update, quality etc. This much more organizational solution, where I think you could be safe from any blames - after all, people are free to contact the provider or distributor mentioned in the metadata.
You can also put a license of this data, stating the range of use and obligating any changes or updates to be reported to your institution.

Best regards:
Raf

Dr. Rafal Wawer
K.U.Leuven
R&D Division SADL (Spatial Application Division)
Celestijnenlaan 200e bus 2224
BE-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
Belgium
tel. 0032 16 329731