[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Location Services

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 12:23:42 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Puneet,
> I don't have a specific answer for "How Much LISAsoft's OpenLS code costs to
> Open Source" yet, I'd need to do the analysis, and so I'll talk in general
> terms, based on my experience with other projects.

Fair enough. If and when you do finish your analysis, I would be very
interested in knowing the cost of OpenLS code. Knowing how much is
something is the first step in determining whether or not it is worth
it to me, so I would like to know what its "sale" price is.

> 1. For LISAsoft, "Just dumping code into Sourceforge" is usually not an
> option. Our reputation is based upon our understanding of Open Source and
> producing quality software, and it would be detrimental to our image, and
> hence our future job prospects to do a poor job.

Very understandable. Of course, the above implies that the code is not
ready to be put (replacing the value laden term "dumped" with the more
benign "put") into Soureforge. I am assuming you have already paying
customers for it though (more on that below), so they have probably
already put a price on it, and considered it of worthy quality.

> 2. For simple projects, Open Sourcing can easily at least a few weeks, to
> put processes and web sites in place. But the bigger cost is growing and
> supporting the community, maybe one person day per week, for the rest of the
> year. I heard that Autodesk decided to provide a major re-write of their
> MapGuide Open Source software before Open Sourcing, which would likely have
> cost them man months, probably man years.

What if you had a website? Hypothetically speaking, what if OSGeo said
that they would provide the server and repo and mailing list, etc.?
Wouldn't that take off some of the "packaging" cost?

> 3. Yes, LISAsoft will miss out on opportunity costs because we derive
> commercial advantage by owning an OpenLS codebase.

Ahhh! So, there is a perceived advantage to keeping the source closed,
which kinda works counter to the perceived advantage of opening up the
source -- the general assumption is that, if successful, open sourcing
will bring more attention, rapid development and improvement, more
bugs being flushed out, more awareness, hence, possibly, more
customers, yadda yadda.

> At the end of the day, our decision will be financial. Can we make more
> money by Open Sourcing or not. At LISAsoft we support both Open and Closed
> source business models, depending on which makes better business sense.

No doubt. I find it fascinating that closed source business models
make sense in a primarily open source world (whereby "world," I mean
the OSGeo world). I just presumed that as far as source code was
concerned, the primary mindset and approach of everyone would be that
open was better than closed. Seems like there are, possibly many,
cases where this is not so.

There are a couple of things I have learned from this thread --

1. "Internal," somewhat mature, projects, owned by a commercial
entity, that are currently closed source throw up a lot more thinking
before they can be made open source;

2. This is something I just had never thought about. I need to study
this a lot more, in greater detail and breadth.

Many thanks Cameron, for your patience and answers.

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org