[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo barriers to entry

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 15:25:51 PST 2009

Bruce Bannerman ha scritto:
> Tyler,
>
> Perhaps this 'issue' is not so big after all...
>
> A comment that was made to me by a colleague after FOSS4G-2009 was that she
> thought that it was great to see such a high percentage of attendees were
> female; dramatically higher than she would have traditionally seen at a
> spatial / geoscience event in Australia.
>
> She commented further that this was a good reason to get more involved...

That's good news - but we should not miss that it's the experience of
only one person and that FOSS4G is not the perfect mirror of all OSGeo
activities.

Collecting other opinions on recent IRC chat on #osgeo, the issue is
potentially big. It's a cultural one. It is not OSGeo task to change
people's minds about women; but for sure raising awareness on known
gender discrimination in OSS is a good step forward. Looking forward for
more discussion and action on this specific topic, as well as on more
generic entry barriers.

all the best,
Anne