[OSGeo-Discuss] new: OSGeo women mailing list

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue Nov 17 07:32:05 PST 2009

Bri wrote: "I'm not saying we should raise a generation of waitresses
and receptionists because it was the lazy choice - but at the same time
we need to overcome our own bias of non-tech fields as being inherently
inferior and encourage proper valuation of all roles in society."

I agree with your perspective on this 100%. I would argue most surveyors
make a rather modest living. I entered the profession not for the money,
but because I enjoyed drawing maps and wanted the chance to work
outdoors.

I didn't mean to imply that people in technical professions are somehow
better than those in non-technical professions. I just think we
sometimes limit people because of our preconceived ideas about there
abilities. I study the bible with a young man who has Autism. Most
people expect very little from him. However, the young man has the most
amazing ability to remember of any person I have ever met in my life. I
am always trying to push him to do more, because I believe he is capable
of more than society expects.

My main point is that we should encourage more diversity in our
professions. Software development and land surveying would benefit from
more women, and nursing would likely benefit from more men. (Ironically,
I have a good friend that is in school for nursing right now, and he is
a man.)

I believe having a diverse profession can ultimately lead to new
approaches to problems and new solutions. When I think about the small
company I work for, I realize diversity is an asset, and something we
could use more of. One of the things I have enjoyed about OpenJUMP is
the opportunity to work with people from all around the world. People
that spell color as "colour" instead of "color". :]

Landon