[OSGeo-Discuss] copyright assignment

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed Nov 18 18:47:43 PST 2009

Hey-

I'm interested making simpler the process of collecting & maintaining
contributor agreements.  Specifically in the case where a project wishes
to have contributors transfer copyright to OSGeo.

I recently had the pleasure of "signing" an agreement (copyright
assignment) digitally.  I know the rules for what is acceptable probably
vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  Does anybody know where a
digital signature suffices?

Currently, I think the process is that the PSC is responsible for
collecting agreements from contributors.  The PSC then sends these
agreements to the OSGeo Secretary.  The OSGeo Secretary maintains the
agreements.  Not sure how this is working out.

I wonder if something simpler would be possible.

Sample copyright assignment form:
http://tinyurl.com/copyright-assignment

And the records:
http://tinyurl.com/assignments-on-file

Anybody know if this could be made legitimate?  Would OSGeo be amenable
to having things work this way?  Is this a pipe dream?

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim Schaub