[OSGeo-Discuss] copyright assignment

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Wed Nov 18 18:56:52 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:47:43PM +1000, Tim Schaub wrote:
> Hey-
>
> I'm interested making simpler the process of collecting & maintaining
> contributor agreements.  Specifically in the case where a project wishes
> to have contributors transfer copyright to OSGeo.
>
> I recently had the pleasure of "signing" an agreement (copyright
> assignment) digitally.  I know the rules for what is acceptable probably
> vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  Does anybody know where a
> digital signature suffices?
>
> Currently, I think the process is that the PSC is responsible for
> collecting agreements from contributors.  The PSC then sends these
> agreements to the OSGeo Secretary.  The OSGeo Secretary maintains the
> agreements.  Not sure how this is working out.
>
> I wonder if something simpler would be possible.
>
> Sample copyright assignment form:
> http://tinyurl.com/copyright-assignment
>
> And the records:
> http://tinyurl.com/assignments-on-file
>
> Anybody know if this could be made legitimate?  Would OSGeo be amenable
> to having things work this way?  Is this a pipe dream?

For the record, for CLAs, Google (in getting contributions to their
applications/source code) allows digital signing for ICLA contributions,
but requires a faxed document for CCLA contributions. I've followed
the same basic principle with OpenLayers; accepting emailed ICLA documents,
but preferring that CCLAs be mailed or faxed. I don't know if this is based
on anything particularly legal, but it seems to be a common thread in
most setups -- possibly just because if the copyright is owned by a
commercial entity, the risk is higher (Because they can actually afford
to sue you), so corporations take a more strict interpretation of their
legal requirements.

Best Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt