[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Ravi ravivundavalli at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 3 08:48:16 PDT 2009

'Universities should teach only with FOSS'

Wish academia think like that. I recall, how at a GSDI convention, a renouned professor of Geoinformatics was asked, 'Why dont you teach FOSS GIS', and pat came the reply. We teach as per the need and, as and when it arises we shall (teach FOSS GIS). That was in 2004 at Bangalore, India.

By the day, even renowned Indian Institutes in collobaration with ITC Netherlands (of ILWIS fame) dont see much of ILWIS at use. They argue that, they teach what the students (who pay through their nose) are interested.

But, some universities have FOSS GIS on their Syllabus, and OSGeo India chapter is helping them teach.

Cheers
Ravi Kumar